Friday, December 08, 2006

FEAR AND FAITH

How much is your life driven by fear? Fear of rejection, failure, pain, loss, or even death? Fear of losing control, fear of stepping out into the unknown, fear of being alone? Fear of not being cool?

I feel the pull of these temptations. But think how crazy it is for me, or you, to live in anxiety. If you trust Christ for the forgiveness of sin and eternal life, then God has for you a hope-filled, anti-worry life now:

If God is for us, who can be against us (Rom 8:31)? He that is in you is greater than he that is in the world (1 John 4:4). The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear (Ps 27:1)? Don’t be anxious about anything, instead pray about everything (Phil 4:6). Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom (Luke 12:32). Etc.!

Of course, freedom from fear doesn’t mean life is easy. It means even the hardest things cannot steal our peace and hope in Christ. Jesus calls us to take up our cross daily (Luke 9:23), and he predicts believers will be persecuted (John 15:20). But even so, our hope is secure and our future with Jesus is bright (John 10:29)!

So think how crazy it is to live in fear. And, what’s more, how it dishonors the Lord, who is always with us and will never forsake us (Heb 13:5). Worry is practical atheism (think about that)! Cast all your fears on the Lord, for he cares about you (1 Pet 5:7). In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me (Ps 56:4)?

No comments: